Packing my hospital bag is something that occupied my mind from early on in my pregnancy. Being my first birth, I wanted to give myself enough time to make sure I was packing for every possibility and that the things I had chosen were perfect. I decided to start gathering the items for my bag at 34 weeks and had it all packed two weeks later.
I know the massive deal associated with the babyâ€™s coming home outfit and well, in all honesty, it really does not matter. I remember coming out of surgery to see Evie was not in the outfit I had originally chosen for her but she still looked just as perfect and would have, if she was in nothing but a bin liner! As everyone says â€œItâ€™s whatâ€™s underneath that really mattersâ€ and this statement could not have been any truer!
So, in total I had an impressive 4 bags!
- For mum
- For baby
- For partner
- And most importantly, snacks!
- Dressing gown
- 2 x two-piece PJ sets
- 4 x high waisted knickers (I got mine from M&S in the next size up)
- Breast pads
- Maternity pads (I got extra thick from Boots)
- Loose lounge set
- Phone charger
- Earphones (It was much more relaxing blocking everything out and giving my mind a new focus)
- Wash bag â€“ shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, body wash, hair brush, hair bands, tooth brush/paste & lip balm
- Flannel (your birth partner can dab your head with cold water during labour, thank me later!)
- Blow up donut for the journey home (again, thank me later!)
- Arnica tablets (30C, from Boots)
- 12 x nappies
- 1 x water wipes
- 1 x nappy sacks
- 6 x ready to feed formula bottles
- 4 x short sleeve vests
- 4 x full body baby sleepsuits
- 2 x hand mitts
- 2 x hats
- 2 x cellular blankets
- 1 x snowsuit (winter baby)
- 3 x muslin squares
- Soft toy (they add to adorable pictures)
For those of you that have asked, I packed two new-born sleepsuits, 1 tiny baby and 1 up to one month. I was so unsure of the sizes of clothes and different birth weights on labels, in the end Evie weighed 8â€™15 and new-born buried her.
- Lounge pants/shorts
- 3 x t-shirts
- Swimwear, if you want to join mum-to-be in the birth pool
- Phone – Contractions app, photographs
- Lucozade sport (not fizzy)
- Cereal bars
- Glucose tablets
- Rice cakes
I hope this helps!